Introducing Jessica Baker who pulls copper and solar plate etchings, monotypes and monoprints on the etching press in her Clinton Hill studio. In the works we are showing here, you can see her interest in circles as a powerful archetype of spirit and the cycle of life (the bold color monotypes) begin to imprint itself directly onto materials collected from nature. Most recently, she has been printing on leaves collected from around Brooklyn, primarily in Prospect Park.
Titles in order of the Gallery:
- Black in Red in Gold Circle. Monoprint, 11" diam, 2007
- Black in Red Circle 1. Monotype, 11" diam, 2007
- Sassafras on Sassafras. Monotype . Print size: 6" diam, 2008
- Tulip on Ginkos. Monotype , Print size: 6" diam 2008
- Multiple Leaf & Print Circle. Etchings on Tulip Tree leaves, etchings on rice paper & leaves, 17" diam
- Black in Red Circle 2. Monotype, 11" diam, 2007
- Blue in Gold Circle 1. Monotype, 11" diam, 2007
- Leaf & Circle Repetition. Etchings on Shingle Oak Leaves, monotype print, leaves. 31" diam, 2008
- Double Tulip Leaf Prints. Etchings printed on Tulip Tree leaves, 20" x 18"
- Three Birch. Monotype. Print size: 6" diam, 2008
You can see Baker's work, alongside four other print makers at The Hofstra University Museum's exhibition: Ancient Echoes in Contemporary Printmaking. Through March 20th (Hempstead, NY 11549)
Know any artists whose work would make a home a lovelier place?
Submit your idea here. . Thanks!